Stuff not printed by the Guardian & other thoughts

June-August 2006

Previous page

Next page

Index page

Wednesday 30th August - Second homes

Simon Jenkins is quite wrong about second homes. Because the government will delay until the last minute any serious action about both climate change & the oil shortage, action when taken will be drastic. There has not been enough work done on imagining an oil-short world but, in this country, intensive agriculture will be back, with every available home in the countryside reserved for field workers. Second homes will be confiscated to provide this accommodation, as there will be no money available, what with all the other problems associated with the oil shortage, to compensate owners. At this time, no politician wants to face up to realities that will occur after their career is over but just as there is all-party agreement at the moment on 'market' solutions to every need, which subverts democracy, so there will be all party agreement on a semi-communist & draconian set of measures to deal with the oil crisis, if we are to avoid famine.

Tuesday 29th August - Climate change

It is 50 years since I climbed my first mountain & 48 since I first visited the Alps. My own photos show climate change in action. But despite government urgings, individuals feel powerless or worse, that their self-sacrifice feeds the selfishness of others. Governments need to take action. A universal 500% tax on aviation fuel would be a start. Doubling petrol duty and banning diesel cars would be another. Those placing their hopes on bio-fuels should note that there might become enough for public transport & commerce but not for cars.

Wednesday 23th August - Electric Cars

It is ludicrous to suggest (G2 22-8-6) that electric cars "do not produce emissions". They produce three times as many emissions as petrol cars but just not where they are used, because of the relative inefficiency of electricity production. They should be banned.

Tuesday 8th August - Floyd Landis' testosterone

With regard to Floyd Landis' testosterone test, one would have thought that someone prepared to go without a shag for three weeks in order to take part in a bicycle race would have low natural levels of testosterone normally.

Friday 4th August - "Israel"

I sent this to our Member of Parliament:-

Dear Emily, Thank you for circulating us all on your attitude to the latest war. I can go along with all of it except the suggestion that "Israel" has a right to exist. It doesn't. It's a colony, set up just at the time when it was beginning to be accepted that colonies were a mistake, if not a crime. Colonies succeed with the genocide of the inhabitants (e.g. USA, Australia), partially succeed if the invaders are absorbed by the locals (most of South America) or fail (e.g. Kenya, "Rhodesia"). I have been writing to the Grauniad for years, suggesting that the only way to peace in the Middle East is the orderly & sensitive evacuation of the Jews back to their motherlands, also saying that I hope our government has a plan on the back-burner for re-absorbing our British Jews back into our society. Naturally, these letters have never been printed but their commentators are starting to hint at the same thing & Edward Pearce had a letter published yesterday calling "Israel" a colony. Love, Ken

I received this reply:-

Dear Ken, Thank you for your e-mail of 4th August about my stance on the situation in the Middle East.
I have been inundated with replies which share my view that there must be an immediate ceasefire. It is clear that there is widespread concern about this issue. I will continue to press for an immediate ceasefire and an end to the violence.
I do not agree with you view on the existence of Israel. I think we will have to agree to disagree on the matter of the existence of Israel, as I believe that Israel does have a right to exist.
Please do not hesitate to get in touch with me in the future, on this matter, or any other. Best wishes Emily

Oh well - Em & I cannot agree on everything.

Friday 23rd June - Wine Lake

In fifty years time, people will think that the 20-naughties were mad to rip up European vineyards & import inferior wines from the other side of the planet, using up precious hydrocarbon fuel to do so. Globalisation & free trade will have to stop eventually, so why not today?

Monday 19th June - Economics

Larry Elliott (Guardian Economics Editor) says, "Europe has a problem of weak consumer spending". Is he mad? Surely, people not spending money they have to borrow on things they do not really need is good news?

Friday 9th June - Investment banks

So, some investment banks offer flexible working to "weed out the losers" (G2 9-6-6). Would you please list these slave-driving sociopaths so that we can disinvest from them?

Contact: Ken Baldry at 17 Gerrard Road, Islington, London N1 8AY +44(0)20 7359 6294 or e-mail him
URL: http://www.art-science.com/thoughts/t3.html
Last revised 30/8/2006 ©2006 Ken Baldry. All rights reserved.